Saturday, February 3, 2018

How to make a fabric covered foam box~by Beth

If you notice in the picture of the remodeled bathroom there is a box on the lower shelf with gray and white striped fabric.




  I made this out of foam board and fabric.  Here's how:



I began with a large sheet of foam board.  I measured the width of the shelf where it would be placed, and added the height of the sides twice.  I did the same thing for the depth.























Using my utility knife and acrylic quilting straight edge I trimmed up my piece of foam.  Then I cut out the corner where the bottom and edge meet up.  I did this for all four corners.








To fold up the edges, make a cut along the edge where the bottom meets the edge, Only cutting through the bottom paper layer.  I used my acrylic ruler to keep the line straight.  Fold up along line. Tape the corners with clear packaging tape.
Fold up the corners and tape with clear package tape

Finished box





















cutting the fabric






Protect the work area from over spray



Using spray adhesive spray the fabric and lay over box, working a section at a time.  Smooth out the fabric, matching up stripes.  I am still thinking about giving it handles, but in the meantime, look how much I can store in it.


No comments: