Monday, June 11, 2018

My DIY Rain Chain~by Beth

The internet is full of projects and ideas for just about anything you may want to do.  Since our downspouts are not all connected, I have been scanning a number of posts for rain chains.  The rain pours here and makes holes in the ground where it runs off the roof on two corners of the house.  I finally made a rain chain and am happy with how it turned out.  Here is my version.
I found some bright colored flower shaped cookie cutters at Walmart on clearance for 67 cents each.  I got two packages of chains at Dollar General, and also used small zip ties that I had on hand.
 After measuring out the final length, I decided to use 7 of the 8 cookie cutters I had.  Every eighth chain I opened, separated the chain, then closed the open link.  I attached the cookie cutter with the zip ties between the openings.
Opening chain links




Initially I decided to hang it in the front.  We don't have gutters on the that side of the house, so I decided to try and see how it worked without one.  It didn't work too well since the water just sheets off the roof even though it pours off that corner.  I used a pan we had and filled with it with rocks after I secured the chain with two bamboo sticks through the bottom link of the chain.

Securing chain in pan with rocks.  I added more rocks later
 So, a few days later I moved the rain chain to the back corner of the house where the water pours out of the gutter with no down spout creating a big hole.  I filled in the hole with dirt and place a  couple of stepping stones on top to make a level place for the rock pan.
 I secured the chain at the top with a gutter bolt inside and more zip ties.  As you can see the chain hangs at the outside of the down spout.  Then I waited for the next down pour to see how it performed.  The water missed most of the chain as it shot out on the side by the house.

My pan collects water too, so I will have to drill some drainage holes.
Can you see there are more rocks?  I got the river rocks at Dollar Tree for a buck a bag.

Redirecting the water.
Today I attached the last cookie cutter that I had right where the down spout ends to the chain above, and then to the chain below it.  I think that will redirect the water down the chain.  We will see when the rain comes.  Here in the semi-tropics it rains nearly every day.
UPDATE:  A couple hours later the rain came and I was able to see if it worked.  It is working to redirect the water for the most part.   I used a bin lid to protect the camera.  Just as I was snapping the photo the wind gusted and pushed the edge of the lid into the picture, covering the view to the top of the gutter.  But, you can still see the rain chain.  Now to plug up the end of the gutter so it doesn't also run off there.  I have a bucket collecting water from the end until I can get it plugged up.



No comments: