Saturday, August 29, 2015

Look what I did

When we were in Texas we made a visit to IKEA where we found a clearance wall light with out a shade.  I could not find one at the stores that had a ring instead of clamping onto the bulb, and began to wonder if we had wasted our money on the lamp.  I finally found one the right size with the right ring on top to fit.  However, it was in a beige and I wanted a white pleated look.  So here is the process of remaking it.
First I took off all the glued on pieces

Next I pulled off the inside lining, which was glued, leaving three spots where it was attached to the inside ring. Then I pulled off the outside fabric, which was also glued.

I picked up a piece of white material from JoAnns for 67 cents, cut it to size and ironed in pleats.

I also pinned the pleats.  This is a view of the bottom side of the piece. Next I basted across the top and bottom of the pleats with my sewing machine about a 1/4 inch from the edge.
Using my trusty glue gun, I glued the bottom pleats to the frame of the shade.  That was after I pinned the whole thing to the frame to check on fit.  If I had it to do again I would have glued the top first and then spread the pleats out on the larger bottom.  As it was I pulled the pleats a bit tighter on top and then glued.

At the end I glued the edge under about 1/4 inch and glued it down over the beginning edge.  I had begun on one of the metal bars that joins the top and bottom of the frame, so that gave some stability.  Then I glued the inside lining to the bottom ring of the frame, pulling it around the outside of the shade about 1/4 inch.  Next I pulled the lining tight and glued it down to the top bar, pulling it over the pleated material on the outside. Finally I glued white bias tape to cover the rough edges.

Here it is completed.  The only other thing I did to it was to find another ring that was the right circumference for the lamp and wire it to the inside of that top ring.

Now I have great lighting for my sewing area.  Cost of the lamp at IKEA was just over $10.  The shade cost $2 at a thrift store, and the materials to recover it were about $2 bringing the grand total for this light to $14.  I only saved $1 over the cost of a complete IKEA lamp, but when we bought it we did not know finding a replacement shade would prove to be so difficult.  I did have fun making it though.


No comments: